During a divorce, making sure your child is fully taken care of should be most parents’ number one priority. While divorce means tackling other issues such as the division of property and child custody, child support remains a major element when going through a divorce involving a child. On top of the logistical issues divorce presents, the emotional turmoil and mental stress divorce can cause may make it extremely difficult to soundly make proper choices for you and your child. Making sure your child is well-taken care of for a long time may be the most important challenge you may face during a divorce. In most instances, child support will last until the child turns 18 years old. However, there may be several factors that extend child support payment length. Obtaining the services of an experienced Tarrant County attorney can assist you in making sure your child’s financial support is fully thought out for the long run.

Will I Still Receive Child Support Past My Child’s High School Graduation?

When going through the divorce process, the court will often make decisions based on what is best for your child. When it comes to child support, the court will typically rule that the paying parent must provide the court-determined amount of child support until the child turns 18 years old. However, there are instances where the paying parent may have to pay out child support until the child graduates from high school or completes the GED program. Continued child support thereafter may depend on the child’s needs, especially if the child plans on attending college. The parents may need to re-negotiate the terms for continued child support at this point. Having a Tarrant County child support attorney can help negotiate any modifications to child support you may need.

How Long Will I Receive Child Support Payments if My Child Has Special Needs?

Not all child support cases are the same, and many children that are a part of a divorce may need different kinds of support. If your child has special needs, the court may grant you additional child support payments extending past the commonly seen deadline. Special needs may mean physical or mental disabilities affecting the child that does not allow the child to take care of themselves. Obtaining an experienced child custody lawyer may benefit you and your child if you require extended child support.

Can a Child Custody Attorney Help Win My Child Custody Case?

Being a newly single parent may be daunting, especially if you do not know exactly when your child custody payments will stop coming in. It can be even more stressful if your child requires special care after they turn 18 years old. The Family law lawyers at Hardy Law Group, PLLC are adept with child support cases and will do everything in their power to fight for the child support you are entitled to. Call Hardy Law Group, PLLC at (817) 222-0000for a consultation that will help you clarify your situation and give you the confidence you need to make sure your child is taken care of.