Hardy Law Group, PLLC

Call For A Free Consultation

(817) 857-4111

Hardy Law Group, PLLC

Changes In Existing Child Support Orders – Changes In Child Support Needs

At some point, you may need to modify a child support order. If circumstances change, the terms of an original order may no longer be practical. In such a case, Texas law permits parents to present their case before the court. The court will determine if your financial circumstances have substantially changed since they last established your child support order. If so, you may be entitled to a modification of child support.

Of course, every family is different and the financial circumstances in each case are unique. Our attorneys are experienced at reviewing cases and determining whether a modification is in order. We then help you present your facts to the court to give you the best chance of success. The family attorneys at Hardy Law Group, PLLC, always put you and your children’s interests first.

Common Reasons Behind Child Support Modifications

Texas law recognizes that, over time, financial needs and circumstances change. Major life events often qualify for substantial change in modification cases.

Factors The Court May Consider When Determining Whether Or Not To Grant A Modification:
  • An increase or decrease in income of the parent ordered to pay support
  • Loss of employment
  • A change in the educational/health needs of a child
  • A child now lives with the support-paying parent
  • It becomes more expensive to visit the child
    (Ex. out of state custody)
  • To make sure your child support is set at a realistic amount, provide as much information as you can to the Office of the Attorney General or the court about your financial situation.
  • If you cannot pay the full amount one month, you should still pay something. A partial payment shows that you are making an effort. You should also call the child support office handling your case to explain your situation.
  • Ask for a review of your case if your income changes substantially or if you lose your job.
  • If you fail to pay child support, it will only make things worse. Past-due child support doesn’t go away. The OAG can collect past-due support even after the child becomes an adult. Interest is charged on unpaid child support.
  • If your child comes to live with you, notify your local child support office to request a change of status. Keep paying child support until the court orders that you are no longer required to do so.
  • Handbook for Non-Custodial Parents.” Texas Attorney General
Hire An Experienced Modification Attorney

Need to make changes to your current child support order? An experienced child support modification attorney will know how to argue this to the court. If you believe that your order requires modification, call our Dallas/Fort Worth office at (817) 857-4111 for a free case evaluation.

Hardy Law Group, PLLC

Call For A Free Consultation
(817) 857-4111