Child Support Enforcement

Past Due Child Support & Arrearages

Child Support Enforcement Attorneys

If you have entered into a child support agreement and the other parent is not in compliance with his or her payment obligations, Hardy Law Group, PLLC, can help enforce those payments. With the involvement of the court, there are various methods available to address the delinquent ex-spouse or parent.

Child support enforcement measures range depending on amount owed and time overdue. Several collection methods may be enforced on non-custodial parent such as:

  • Wage garnishment (Taking payments directly from paycheck)
  • Withholding of tax refunds (Or any money due from state)
  • Seizing of property (Filing liens against assets for payment)
  • Suspension of driver's license (Or other professional license)
  • Denial of passport privileges

If the owing party continues to fail to pay child support as ordered, he or she may be held in contempt of court and ordered to serve time in jail. However, finding a legal solution where the owing parent is kept out of jail (and in a job) typically better benefits the owed parent and children. More on the license suspension process in Texas and general child support payment information at the Texas Attorney General government site.

Support Modification vs. Support Enforcement

If the parent is failing to make payments due to a job loss or other change in circumstances, they must file for a modification, otherwise money owed will accumulate and a failure to pay will result in fines and jail time. Modifications to change/reduce support must be justified by a substantial change in circumstances. If modifications are not in order and the paying parent is simply not compliant, legal enforcement measures will be taken in full.

Calculating Arrearages in Child Support Cases

When an enforcement action is filed, the court will determine how much is due to the owed parent. Payment owed will include regular payments and past-due payments. Past due child support can add up quickly and can be collected even when your child reaches the age of 18. In addition to the amount owed, accrued interest can be added to the arrearage.

Contact our Child Support Attorneys for Help

The experienced Dallas/Fort Worth family law attorneys at Hardy Law Group, PLLC, are well versed in child support enforcement and collection. If your children are not receiving the money that is rightfully theirs, do not hesitate to seek qualified legal assistance. Call our office for a free consultation at (817) 953-6265.